It’s been over 24 hours since I had my last Diet Coke.
I’m feeling pretty good about it so far. I’ve had a low grade headache but so far I’m not as irritable as I thought I would be. I’m extremely tired but I think that may have more to do with the recent change to Daylight Saving Time.
Why did I give up Diet Coke?
I gave up Diet Coke and other diet pop, because it didn’t prevent me from gaining weight, I drank way too much of it and I didn’t even like the taste of it. I also have a sneaking feeling that all the Diet Coke is contributing to my muscle aches and joint pain. I don’t know this for sure but since I can’t seem to find any other cause it might be the reason.
I’ve been drinking diet pop since my grandmother gave me my first Tab when I was in 3rd grade. The addiction was swift and easy. She thought she was helping, I was a little on the chunky side and diet pop seemed to be a good idea.
I’ve read and heard over the years that Diet Coke actually makes you gain weight because it makes you crave sweets. I’ve heard that too much of it can cause headaches. And, I’ve heard too many stories of people who say they are addicted to it.
Here are just a few of the 92 different side effects associated with Aspertame:
- Tinnitus – ringing or buzzing sound in the ear (I occasionally have this happen)
- Paresthesia or numbness of the limbs (I have carpal tunnel so sever it wakes me in the middle of the night)
- Fibromyalgia (in the last year I have all kinds of unexplained pain. Not severe but it doesn’t feel good)
- Hypothyroidism (I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was 20, 4 years after Diet Coke was introduced)
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (I’m always in need of a nap)
- Increased craving for sweets (Chocolate is one of my best friends. Chocolate with Diet Coke is like crack)
- Excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating (Attributed this to the chocolate and fatigue)
- Aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) (If I don’t eat I get really bad low blood sugar)
- Gradual weight gain (The scale seems to only go in one direction)
Those are just some! Click here to see the full list of Aspertame Side Effects.
I don’t know if all of my maladies are caused by over consumption of Diet Coke but I know I drink too much of it. The problem is I can’t cut back. I could’t do it with cigarettes and I can’t do it with Diet Coke. I have to quit cold turkey or I will never be able to give up my 5 can a day Diet Coke habit.
I don’t even like the taste of it!
So, I’m giving it up…again.
I’ve tried this before. Just read the comments on this post to know that I am not the only one addicted to this stuff.
Keep your fingers crossed that I make it longer than I have in the past which has been about 3 days. Even as I type this I am having trouble concentrating and making tons of mistakes. You might notice I have little sense of humor. All I really want to do is curl up under my covers and take a nap until the Diet Coke Withdrawal goes away.
I know I can do this, I’ve kicked the smoking habit cold turkey so I know I can give up Diet Coke.
Have you managed to give up Diet Coke or any Diet soft drink? Do you notice any of these side effects from drinking too much of it?
- Mixing Alcohol With Diet Coke Gets You Drunk Faster Than Mixing It With Regular Coke (ksfm.cbslocal.com)
- Kicking the coke…. (thatsixthformblog.com)
- Diet Coke Addiction (katieconquers.wordpress.com)
- Artificial Sweeteners Tied To Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes (12160.info)
- Diet Drink Detox (relaxlivetrain.wordpress.com)