I’m so thrilled to learn about the Teal Pumpkin Project! About 5 years ago I learned my daughter had severe tree nut allergies. Overnight everything became a lot more difficult and the worry never ends. She carries both Benadryl and an Epi-Pen with her where ever she goes. She is also an ace at checking labels and asking if food has tree nuts in it or been prepared around equipment that has processed tree nuts.
We’ve been lucky, we’ve never had to use the Epi-Pen. For the most part, her tree nut allergies haven’t interfered in day to day life. I make a few adjustments when cooking and baking and that’s about it. We’re vigilant at festivals, fairs and other activities where food is prepared for us (and hyper vigilant at some restaurants that don’t label ingredients as well as I would like), but otherwise the only time of year it really sucks for her is Halloween.
Thankfully there’s the Teal Pumpkin Project! Click here to learn more.
As a result, Halloween can be extra scary if your child has a food allergy. Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) came up with the Teal Pumpkin Project to create a safer Halloween for kids who have food allergies. If you put a teal pumpkin at your door it means you’re giving away non food items to your trick or treaters.
The Teal Pumpkin Project
FARE’s Teal Pumpkin Project® is a worldwide movement to create a safer, happier Halloween for all kids. Putting a teal pumpkin on your doorstep means you have non-food treats available, such as glow sticks or small toys. This simple act promotes inclusion for trick-or-treaters with food allergies or other conditions.
How to Take Part
- Provide non-food treats for trick-or-treaters
- Place a teal pumpkin in front of your home to indicate to passersby that you have non-food treats available
- Display a free printable sign or premium poster from FARE to explain the meaning of your teal pumpkin
Support the Project
Do you want to help spread the Teal Pumpkin Project’s messages of a safer, happier Halloween for all? You can support FARE and the Teal Pumpkin Project in a variety of ways:
- Order official merchandise, including t-shirts and the Teal Pumpkin Project Halloween Essentials Kit
- Host a Teal Pumpkin Project inspired fundraising event to support FARE
- Make a donation to support the Teal Pumpkin Project and receive a free gift
- Want to get involved during your workday? It’s easy to make a difference in your office, restaurant, or store. You can show your customers you care and are supportive of the food allergy community. Download the Small Business Guide to the Teal Pumpkin Project and the digital postcard to get started today.
Spread the Word
- Add your home to the official Teal Pumpkin Project Fever Map
- Download free flyers to get your neighbors involved
- Use the hashtag #tealpumpkinproject to help us spread the word
Enter your teal pumpkin in our contest by using #tealpumpkincontest and tagging us @FoodAllergy on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
[…] The Teal Pumpkin Project […]