If you’re like most of the American population you’re wondering what the hell happened yesterday. You’re also probably wondering how to survive the Trumpocalypse without losing your mind, dignity, friends, etc. You may or may not be wondering how the media and pundits got it so wrong. And if you’re like many people you’re busy pointing fingers and demanding that those who voted for him unfriend you right now.
I get it. I’m stunned too. I really didn’t think this was even a remote possibility. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and it’s actually pretty obvious why it happened, but that’s a discussion for another time. However, it is not because half the country is stupid and racist.
Today is going to be a difficult day for a lot of people. I see grief and fear all over social media. So much fear and so much hate. Hate for the uneducated who voted this buffoon into office. It is what it is. President Elect Donald Trump won fair and square. He’s got four years to do what he said he was going to do and that includes unite this country. If we aren’t happy with the way things are four years from now, we vote home out of office. That’s just one of the things that makes this country a great place to live.
Healing will happen, but it will take some time, some introspection and some humility. In the mean time, we need to survive the post election apocalypse. When I wrote that piece I was sure Hillary Clinton would be the winner and that we’d be counting hanging chads for months, and just in case you missed it, I wrote it with tongue planted firmly in cheek.
I didn’t foresee this outcome, but surviving the Trumpocalypse isn’t that difficult.
How to Survive the Trumpocalypse
- Take a deep breath, or two or there – Hell, take a drink or a toke. Whatever you need to get through these next few days. It’s going to be rough while we sift through the wreckage. Do what you need to do to make yourself feel better because we’ve got some work to do going forward.
- Stop pointing fingers – This is how our system works. Everyone gets a shot. The government is not guaranteed to just the elites on the east and west coasts of our country.
- Stop scaring your kids – Seriously, stop it. The world is not going to end. There will be no concentration camps and women and blacks will not lose the right to vote. Gays will still have the right to marry and raise children and every other right they currently have as American citizens.
- Stop unfriending people – If you wonder how this could happen it might just be because we’ve refused to even entertain a different idea. This divisive society we’ve created is so incredibly toxic that our children need Safe Spaces in school. That’s insane. School used to be where we tried out all kinds of new ideas.
- Be your best – The government has never been able to legislate thoughts. Keep fighting for equality and opportunity. Keep helping your fellow man and woman. Be the change you wish to see. A Trump win doesn’t mean that you won’t be allowed to do all of the things you think are virtuous. Be good, be kind, be excellent.